Thursday 31 August 2017

SIXTEEN | Part 3

1.       I met Uma in college. It all started when our first year exams were about to begin. Uma was brilliant in studies and I like any other last bench boy was lucky enough to get her as my exam partner.  Though she was our trustee’s daughter, she never showed off her rich attitude. Kind and always helpful, Uma had the most beautiful smile on earth. Any person would go high over heels for her. I being a cartoon in the class had no chance ever to get a girl like her to fall in love with me. ‘Uma wed's Vitthal’ sounded cheap even back then, you can understand from this when our names sound awful together, imagine the reality.

I belonged from a lower middle-class family but I was content, as I was my dad’s only response to handle. It was partially embarrassing for me to visit the same college where my dad worked as a peon and having a love affair that too with trustee’s daughter was out of my own imagination.
Uma helped me a lot to cope up with studies and difficult accounting problems. My friend circle was full of scholars and knowledgeable geeks who had the answers for everything in life except academic syllabus. Sixteen and young to party, enjoy and have fun was the sole purpose of our lives. Dad was earning and I was getting my pocket money. We were riding bikes in town and spending as much as we liked to.

It’s said that a girl can turn your life upside- down and not so soon my life experienced a Hurricane. After the first semester, I and Uma were more close as friends; I had changed completely” according to my friends”. I started saving money, studying, sitting regularly for lectures and avoiding bad habits.
I realized that I have started to develop a crush on Uma and would often dream about her. It was during our college festival - I being the head of the managing committee, worked vigorously to accomplish the festival on a good note. I was successful and was praised for my caliber. I was amazed to know that I had such potential myself. Uma was impressed by my dedication towards particular tasks given to me and soon our chats were taking much deeper turns.
Our bonding had grown much intense. College mates had a rough clue of what we were implying emotionally towards each other. The teasing had started and to our misfortune, my Dad and her Father got a hint.

It was conveyed through expression that none of them had liked the path we were about to settle. We escaped the talks somehow but kept meeting and hanging out with each other. It was near. I had to plan something really good to impress Uma to tell her my feelings. I found no better time to express my love to Uma. It was her sixteenth birthday. I made a surprise plan. The party was planned at night, therefore I told Uma’s friend to help and convince Uma’s Dad to allow her staying out late.

Vitthal ! Why are you crying? What happened next? You need some water. Wait,’ the fisherman said’.
Vitthal replied,” Probably that is the only thing I should have never done.”

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment