Thursday 31 August 2017

SIXTEEN | Part 4 | THE END

I told Uma’s friend Kavya to bring Uma at a place which was far from the vicinity of Uma’s residence.  All had gathered on time and were waiting for Uma to enter. I received a call from Kavya that the birthday girl is about to enter the café in next few minutes. I told everyone to hide and come out after Uma and Kavya enter the café. Soon, Uma arrived like a princess. She looked gorgeous in her one piece and her bright smile for which I already adored her was mesmerizing.

The plan was executed and a mix of laughter and surprise glittered on Uma’s face. Her eyes searched me in the crowd; I could say that because I never took my eyes off her since she entered the café. I hugged her tight and instead of saying happy birthday I finally blurted out I love You Uma. To which she instantly replied, “I love you too”. I looked at her, the tears rolling down it was indeed a sweet sixteen moment. The teenage love was pure and immature yet we decided to glide through the moment without worrying about our future.

It was past 10:30, all invited friends made their way home. I and Uma left after everyone left. It was a cold night. The city being far, I had got my scooter to the party place. We left, she held her arms around my waist and to my comfort I was happy with butterflies in the stomach. It was dark and cold. The fog on the road had made it a zero visibility zone. I was slow but steady. Suddenly, the truck lights flashed and blinded me, losing my balance we fell on the side of the road but fortunately none of us were hurt. The scooter refused to start and the headlight cracked. We were stranded. It was late, the happiness of an amazing birthday night was fading out. I was scared not because I am just sixteen. I was scared because I was stranded late night, middle of a secluded road without license and friends scooter which stopped working.

She was scared and I could sense a terror feeling in her eyes, she wanted to rush home. I spotted a car coming towards us it was my fault that I asked for a lift. A gang of few drunkards stopped with lust dripping down their mouth. I did manage to say no thank you but they insisted on dropping us till the city road. Uma and I, left with no other option, soon got into the car along with three other men. It was that moment for me and Uma.The end of our love and life. I was knocked out with a blow and tied while they took turns to rape Uma.

Next morning, I woke up in the hospital to see Uma’s Dad in anger and with a want of killing me. Being a big man he is, he managed to feed policemen with amounts desired and I was put behind bars by making me one of the culprits. This had totally shattered my Dad and Uma was no longer there to explain what happened. I couldn’t take this trauma and humiliation and rather accepted for a crime I never committed. I loved Uma, I loved her a lot. It was my teenage love and indeed a special one to remember.

I lived three years with the ones I saw raping Uma, I think you saving me has a purpose.
It’s better to go in jail committing a crime rather without one.
“What are you talking about? Are you mad?” The fisherman exclaimed.
You need some sleep, you are young take some time to think what you intend to do in future, till then you are welcomed to stay here with me.


Vitthal looks at the fisherman and utters Thank You, Dada.

No comments:

Post a Comment